This is the most purely nerdy thing I have ever seen on the internet. (Pure nerdiness lacks the repulsive desperation/shame factor commonly associated with nerds.) I encourage everyone to watch the video, but if you don’t, this is what it contains: a bassoon quartet playing selections of score from the Super Mario Bros. video game series. This video is special because pretty much every aspect is nerdy to the hilt. To wit:
- Bassoon quartet. You have to be a very dedicated band geek to play the bassoon, because bassoons are not cheap.
- The music is from a series of video games, which someone obviously had to take the time to select and arrange.
- I didn’t realize until the musicians stood up to take their bows that the blonde on the left is female.
- Everyone in the quartet is wearing glasses.
- Everyone in the quartet has a dorky haircut.
- The Asian in the back stops playing and beatboxes unironically at two different times and occasionally makes sound effects noises.
- Everyone is wearing the same custom shirt, which features four bassoons and which I assume is their group outfit.
- Everyone is wearing stone-washed jeans that look like they came straight out of 1996.
If you were a swagger coach and were hired to prep these kids for a night of sarging cheerleaders, what would you advise?